China's Console & TV-based Games Market 2018-2022 - Featuring Tencent, Riot Games, Sony, Nvidia, Nintendo, Microsoft, Square Enix, Valve, and more - ResearchAndMarkets.com
World News: 16:14 GMT Friday 14th September 2018. [Research and Markets via Businesswire via SPi World News]
- SPi News Home
- Latest News
- News for 2018-09-14
- China's Console & TV-based Games Market 2018-2022 - Featuring Tencent, Riot Games, Sony, Nvidia, Nintendo, Microsoft, Square Enix, Valve, and more - ResearchAndMarkets.com
The "China's Console & TV-based Games Market" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
The console and TV-based games market continues to grow worldwide as the 8th gen console installed base reaches 130 million units. While the U.S. and Europe continue to remain strong console markets, developing markets, including those in Asia, have contributed to global console market revenue growth. China overturned its console ban in 2014, which led to both Sony and Microsoft officially launching consoles in the country.
China's market for game consoles is often overlooked because the revenue is much lower than for the key segments of PC Online Gaming and Mobile Gaming. Sony, Microsoft, domestic competitors, and others are active in China and sales have surpassed 3/4 of a billion dollars. Despite the barriers to entry, success is profitable.
Key takeaways from the analysis:
- Total revenue for sales of game consoles, console game software and TV-based game software in China is projected to reach $736 million in 2018, up nearly 14.6% YoY as higher game software sales offset a slight decline in hardware sales.
- The research projects 2018 console and TV-based games software revenue to reach $471 million, up 32% YoY. This comes from a tie ratio of approximately 10 legal and grey software titles sold per console this year, accelerated by the release of new popular titles. The research forecasts console and TV-based game software sales of $897 million in 2022.
- The research projects 2018 hardware revenue of $265 million, down 7% YoY. Data includes legitimate and grey market (illegally imported) unit sales. The decline is primarily due to lower sales of grey consoles, which are partially offset by higher sales of legal consoles.
- It is expected that grey market hardware sales will generate $92 million in 2018, down 16% YoY. However, the decline in PlayStation 4 and Xbox One grey market consoles eventually, likely, will be offset by grey imports of Nintendo's Switch.
- Grey market software dollar sales are expected to reach $268 million in 2018, up 25.4% YoY.
- It is anticipated that there will be 24.37 million gamers who play consoles and TV-based games by 2022, essentially doubling from 2018.
- Growth is driven in part by China's 2014 reversal of the console ban, lower console prices, strong international game brands, the introduction of online gaming and distribution on consoles rendering piracy virtually non-existent on current gen consoles, and localization of international games for China.
- The majority of console and TV-based gamers surveyed by the publisher in 2018 declared they are spending more time playing games on consoles than last year.
- Arc System Works
- Oasis Games
- Perfect World
- Riot Games
- Silicon Studio
- Snail Digital
- Square Enix
- Whiz Partners
- Yi Long
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/3vdbmz/chinas_console?w=4
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180914005369/en/
More news and information about Research and Markets
Business Wire: 16:14 GMT Friday 14th September 2018
Search for other references to "china" on SPi News