World News: 17:37 GMT Friday 15th March 2019. [EQS Group via SPi World News]
DGAP-News: Constantin Medien AG / Key word(s): Annual Results
Constantin Medien: 2018 sales and earnings within forecast
- EBITDA of EUR 1.3 million back in the black after EUR -0.6 million on a like-for-like basis* year-on-year
- EBIT of EUR -2.8 million shows considerable improvement on EUR -6.6 million on like-for-like basis* in 2017
- Group earnings attributable to shareholders of EUR -4.3 million within forecast and clearly improved on last year's figure on like-for-like basis* of EUR -11.1 million
- 2019 forecast assumes improved Group earnings attributable to shareholders
- Group sales fell to EUR 119.1 million (2017: EUR 263.8 million). On a like-for-like basis*, Group sales in 2017 amounted to EUR 139.3 million. Taking this into account, the 2018 Group sales fell 14.5 percent, especially because PLAZAMEDIA was unable to compensate for the Sky agreement which expired on June 30, 2017. Also down were TV advertising revenues at SPORT1, above all due to the loss of rights to the UEFA Europa League from the second half of 2018. Advertising revenues from digital products, on the other hand, developed positively, as did the consulting and third-party marketing activities.
- Profit from operations before depreciation/amortization (EBITDA) fell to EUR 1.3 million (2017: EUR 83.7 million). On a like-for-like basis* the 2017 EBITDA was EUR -0.6 million. Taking this into account, this figure saw a massive increase of 316.7 percent in 2018, moving from red into black.
- The profit from operations (EBIT) fell to EUR -2.8 million (2017: EUR 36.7 million). The previous year's result was influenced by a non-recurring, non-cash gain of EUR 38.3 million from the deconsolidation of Highlight Communications AG recorded in that year. On a like-for-like basis* the EUR -6.6 million profit from operations was up 57.6 percent, due especially to lower personnel and license costs and despite still high legal and consulting costs - including those in connection with enforcing claims against former executive bodies, which the company feels obliged to pursue.
- The financial result improved considerably to EUR -0.5 million (2017: EUR -5.3 million), especially as the previous year was still influenced by the interest charges for the 2013/2018 corporate bond repaid in April 2018. On a like-for-like basis* the 2017 financial result was EUR -3.9 million. Taking this into account, the development in 2018 equates to an improvement of 87.2 percent. A positive financial result is expected in future.
- The Group net result amounted to EUR -4.4 million, compared with EUR 28.8 million the year before. Earnings attributable to shareholders of Constantin Medien AG came to EUR -4.3 million (2017: EUR 27.8 million). On a like-for-like basis* the Group recorded an improvement of 61.3 percent (2017: EUR -11.1 million), even though PLAZAMEDIA GmbH's 2018 profit from operations fell by EUR 5.9 million due to the Sky agreement which expired on June 30, 2017, owing among other things to necessary restructuring measures.
Financial position of the Group as at December 31, 2018
The equity ratio (total equity relative to balance sheet total) was 66.1 percent as at December 31, 2018, compared with 35.9 percent a year earlier. The increased equity ratio is due to the sharp reduction in current liabilities. Net liquidity as at December 31, 2018 stood at EUR 12.4 million (2017: EUR -43.0 million). Following repayment of the corporate bond 2013/2018 and the receipt of cash inflow from the sale of Highlight Communications AG shares, as at December 31, 2018 the Constantin Medien Group can once again report net liquidity instead of net debt for the first time in several years. Also, as at this date, Constantin Medien AG holds some 6.18 million Highlight Communications AG shares with a market value of approx. EUR 31.3 million, as at this date.
Shareholder structure of the Group as at December 31, 2018
On February 13, 2018, the Highlight group increased its existing share of almost 30 percent in the Group to 78.38 percent in a public takeover bid and then to 79.18 percent by December 31, 2018. Another major shareholder is Cigogne UCITS with a 3.16 percent share of the basic capital. 17.66 percent of shares are in free float.
In 2018 the focus of SPORT1 as the leading 360 sports platform in the German-speaking region remained on strengthening its rights portfolio, optimizing existing digital offerings and marketing environments or creating new ones, as well as cross-platform utilization, networking and capitalization of content.
At EUR 119.1 million, sales in the Sports division were down on the previous year (2017: EUR 139.3 million), due especially to the loss of Sky sales at PLAZAMEDIA. TV advertising revenues also fell, notably due to the loss of UEFA Europa League rights from the second half of 2018. Advertising revenues from digital products, on the other hand, developed positively, as did the consulting and third-party marketing activities. Despite falling sales and the unplanned reorganization expenses at PLAZAMEDIA GmbH, the EBIT in the Sports division remained virtually constant at EUR 1.1 million (2017: EUR 1.9 million).
Outlook for the 2019 financial year
For 2019, Constantin Medien AG is expecting stable revenues at Group level compared with last year. This results from the expectation that sales increases in digital and at PLAZAMEDIA can largely compensate for the forecast drop in sales in TV. Sales in TV in 2019 will be influenced by the loss of UEFA Europa League rights as of the 2018/19 season and by the newly acquired rights to the DFB-Pokal (DFB Cup) from the second half of 2019 onwards. In almost all KPIs, the Constantin Medien Group expects considerably higher, positive figures year-on-year.
Based on current developments in the Sports division, the Management Board of Constantin Medien AG currently expects for the 2019 financial year Group sales of EUR 105 million to EUR 125 million and Group earnings attributable to shareholders of between EUR +0.5 million and EUR -3.0 million. Holding costs, taxes and an expected positive financial result were also considered.
Group results according to IFRS
Key figures of the Constantin Medien Group without pro rata profit contributions of Highlight Communications AG up to June 12, 2017 and the non-recurring, non-cash deconsolidation gain (EUR 38.3 million) the previous year
The full consolidated accounts of Constantin Medien AG for the 2018 financial year are available on the company's website ( ).
Constantin Medien AG, Michael Röhrig, Tel.: +49 (0) 89 99 500 461, Fax: +49 (0) 89 99 500 466, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
NewMark Finanzkommunikation GmbH, Dr Charlotte Brigitte Looß, Tel.: +49 (0) 69 94 41 80 63, E-Mail: email@example.com
Constantin Medien AG, Stéphane Winzenried, Tel.: +49 (0)89 99 500 803, Fax: +49 (0)89 99 500 371, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Constantin Medien AG, Münchener Straße 101g, 85737 Ismaning, Tel.: +49 (0)89 99 500 0, Fax: +49 (0)89 99 500 111
|Company:||Constantin Medien AG|
|Münchener Straße 101 g|
|Phone:||089 / 99500-436|
|Fax:||089 / 99500-433|
|Listed:||Regulated Market in Frankfurt (Prime Standard); Regulated Unofficial Market in Berlin, Dusseldorf, Hamburg, Hanover, Munich, Stuttgart, Tradegate Exchange|
|End of News||DGAP News Service|
SPi News is published by Sector Publishing Intelligence Ltd.
© Sector Publishing Intelligence Ltd 2019. [Admin Only]
Sector Publishing Intelligence Ltd.
Agriculture House, Acland Road, DORCHESTER, Dorset DT1 1EF United Kingdom
Registered in England and Wales number 07519380.